Published October 1, 2017 byin
- What have you heard/do you think the Bible says about:
- Horror movies
- Horror books
- Romance Novels
- Excessive violence
- Sexual content
- Shows about witchcraft
- Science Fiction
- Do you think the Bible has anything relevant to say about modern entertainment, with the cultural context so different?
- What are some reasons you have heard people give for why it is OK or even important for Christians to watch certain shows that may be considered taboo?
- Psalm 101:2-4
- “I will walk in the way of integrity,
when will you come to me?
I will conduct my business with integrity in the midst of my palace
I will not even consider doing what is dishonest.
I hate doing evil;
I will have no part of it.
I will have nothing to do with a perverse person;
I will not permit evil.
- “I will walk in the way of integrity,
- Colossians 3:1-2
- “Therefore, if you have been raised with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Keep thinking about things above, not things on the earth…”
- Hebrews 10:26
- “For if we deliberately keep on sinning after receiving the knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins is left for us…”
- Romans 16:19
- “Your obedience is known to all and thus I rejoice over you. But I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.”
- Proverbs 4:23
- “Guard your heart with all vigilance, for from it are the sources of life.
- Leviticus 19:31
- “Do not turn to the spirits of the dead and do not seek familiar spirits to become unclean by them. I am the Lord your God.”
- 1 Corinthians 6:12
- “‘All things are lawful for me’ – but not everything is beneficial. ‘All things are lawful for me’ – but I will not be controlled by anything.”
- Psalm 11:5
- “The Lord approves of the godly, but He hates the wicked and those who love to do violence.”
- Proverbs 3:31
- Do not envy a violent man, and do not choose to imitate any of his ways;”
- Galatians 6:8
- “Because the person who sows to his own flesh will reap corruption from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit”
- Galatians 5:19-21
- “Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, depravity, idolatry, sorcery, hostilities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish rivalries, dissensions, factions, envying, murder, drunkenness, carousing, and similar things. I am warning you, as I had warned you before: Those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God!”
- Romans 12:2
- “Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God – what is good and well-pleasing and perfect.”
- Matthew 6:22
- “The eye is the lamp of the body. If then your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light.”
- Psalm 119:66, 104
- “Teach me proper discernment and understanding! For I consider your commands to be reliable.”
- “Your precepts give me discernment. Therefore I hate all deceitful actions.”
- Proverbs 4
- Proverbs 10:23
- “Carrying out a wicked scheme is enjoyable to a fool, and so is wisdom for the one who has discernment.”
- Philippians 4:8
- “Finally, brothers & sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things.”
- What does the quote “be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil” mean to you?
- How would this look in application?
- How do we test things for approval for what is the will of God?
- Hebrews 5:12-14
- What are a few examples of things you have felt convicted about?
- Where do you start?
- First, if you have to ask if something is ok, why are you asking?
- What are you getting from the viewing experience? Why do you like it?
- Are those things moving you towards God or away from Him?
- Weigh with real thoughtfulness: Does the gain truly outweigh the compromise?
- Friendly group debate::
- Game of Thrones
- Harry Potter
- Lord of the Rings
- True Blood
- Violent Historical reenactments